The results of the Our Hawkwood community engagement project in 2014 show that the creation of a community garden, enhancement of community pathways, and providing neighbours more opportunities to meet and build a stronger ties are all actions that have strong support from the People of Hawkwood.
We are excited to be pursuing the development of the park on Hawkwood Hill that will bring all of those great ideas to the neighbourhood! There are many beautiful community gardens around Calgary that have become a wonderful neighbourhood hub, a place for gathering, relaxation, learning, and sharing. This park would be a part of the evolution of the neighbourhood, responding to the needs and wants of the residents, it would be a beautiful, safer and more accessible multi-use area enjoyed by more of our neighbours year round.
Volunteers Needed! May 5 & 6, 2017
We’re looking for volunteers of all ages to help transfer soil from large piles into 17 hexagonal beds on May 5 & 6. Sign up for one or all of the four shifts (9am – 12pm and 12pm – 3pm each day). Email email@example.com to volunteer. Even if you can’t make it, please consider loaning us wheelbarrows or shovels for the crews to use.
Rent a Garden Bed for the 2017 Season
Thank you to all the volunteers who came out for our September Build Weekend to make Phase 1 of the community garden a reality! There are currently 18 beds to be rented and after May 5 & 6 there will be another 17 beds to rent out. The rental fee is $15/season for 4×8 or hexagonal beds, and $10/season for 4×4 beds.
Garden Update – Spring 2017
A small team of dedicated Hawkwood residents has been working over the last couple of years to raise funds, work with planning consultants, and meet with the Hawkwood Community Association and other stakeholders to move this project forward.
The garden will be built in several phases over the next couple of years, depending on available funds, weather, and volunteers. The first phase was completed in the fall of 2016, which includes 18 rectangular and square beds.
Join us on May 5 & 6, 2017 to start phase 2 of the build, which will involve transferring soil from large piles into 17 hexagonal beds. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to volunteer.Even if you can’t make it, please consider loaning us wheelbarrows or shovels for the crews to use.
Design Components of the Hawkwood Community Garden:
- Garden beds for growing veggies or flowers on the baseball diamond area enclosed with fruiting trees and shrubs.
- A plant wall around the perimeter made up of perennials donated by Hawkwood residents.
- Stairs for safer and better access to the park from the top of the hill near the shopping area.
- Amenities like picnic table, benches, or a pebble play area to enjoy the beautiful view and a gazebo, possible communal fire pit and BBQ area.
- Pathways for biking and walking that will connect to the rest of the pathway system in the neighbourhood.
- Gathering places for people, families and neighbours to get together.
- Retain the off leash dog park in the area
- Get to know your neighbours
- Year-round use
- Educational site useful to Residents and School children (Hawkwood School, St. Maria Goretti School)
- Accessible design for all residents young and old
- Improving the health of local ecosystem without herbicides or pesticides
- Become apart of the Calgary Horticultural Society network of community gardens, and their initiative to bring fresh produce to the Calgary Food Bank
- Volunteer to support the second phase build weekend May 5 & 6, 2017 by emailing email@example.com.
- Rent a planter box or two to grow your own plants and produce -print and fill out this form, sign the contract, and return it with your cheque. Please note that you must have a valid HCA membership to rent a garden bed.